I am an experienced mobile developer with a passion for writing scalable, maintainable iOS apps. I've previously built and launched over 10 apps to the App Store with a focus on medical/HealthCare services.
I am a consistent Stack Overflow contributor and community advocate. My experience with the Apple ecosystem has taught me the value of quality work, from the ground up. I enjoy writing software that is efficient, scalable, and maintainable. I rely heavily of Apple best practices, the Human Interface Guidelines, and programming conventions to output the best product possible.
Coming on at First Opinion I was immediately confronted with one of my most difficult career challenges yet. Company growth and a pivoting product roadmap had led to an unnecessarily complex codebase and a bug-prone app. Assuming full ownership of the iOS codebase as the sole developer, I oversaw the refactoring, improvement, and release of a series of updates. These changes significantly improved the stability of the app, intuitiveness of in-app transitions and interactions, introduced new features, and laid the groundwork for expanding product offerings from text-only to full support of in-app video chat with a doctor.
I was also responsible for a teardown and and re-addition of robust analytics tracking. From this experience I learned the ins and outs of how to approach analytics tracking with Mixpanel. I learned that it's important to ask "what shouldn't we be tracking" in addition to "what do we want to track" to avoid overloading your analytics dashboards with low-value information.
Lastly, I worked hard to improve engineering processes that would allow to product, design, and engineering to collaborate more effectively and efficiently.
Sr. iOS Developer at i.TV - June 2014 to October 2014
i.TV is the largest consumer-facing social platform built specifically for TV. The i.TV platform powers second screen and social TV experiences for homegrown products like tvtag, Spit, and On Now, as well as for brands like DIRECTV, AOL, Huffington Post, Entertainment Weekly, and Nintendo. I worked on i.TV’s live sports gamification app, as well as their content discovery and TV guide app, On Now.
Software Developer at Solutionreach - July 2012 to June 2014
Developed iOS applications enabling doctors and dentists to engage with their patients via their mobile devices. Agile development environment, app design, storyboarding, development, and with heavy consumption of RESTful web services using RestKit.
Android Developer Intern at RAIN - March 2012 to July 2012
Developed Android applications for RAIN clients including United Airlines, KSL, and Best Western. Tasks included turning mock-ups into working application prototypes, implementing web services, performing code reviews, and issuing bug fixes.
Support Engineer / Team Lead at Agilix Labs, Inc. - July 2010 to October 2011
Agilix specializes in eLearning Web Applications. Working as a technical and sales support engineer, I became a master of the BrainHoney learning platform and Agilix’s open source DLAP API, able to create scripts (Java, PHP, PowerShell, XML), provide code samples, and resolve customer concerns for content migration and system integration.
After 7 months with Agilix I was promoted to Support Team Lead. In this role I was able to gain valuable experience managing and seeking to improve support processes, as well as learn the value of good communication through constant collaboration with product managers, software engineers, and sales representatives. This role in particular taught me to effectively communicate on many levels, ranging from internal affairs to key customer accounts, delighting customers with answers to questions and solutions to problems.
- Mobile Development - iOS, Android, Mobile UI/UX Design
- Programming Languages - Swift, Objective-C, Java
- iOS Frameworks - Mantle, RestKit, AFNetworking, Flurry, Mixpanel Heatmaps, Twilio, TiVo, DirecTV, DISH, UIKit, UIKit Dynamics, Map Kit, Core Location, Core Data, Social, Twitter SDK, Facebook SDK
- Android Frameworks - ActionBar Sherlock, ZBar, ZXing, Apache HttpClient, Google Maps, Spring Android
Masters of Information Systems Management | Brigham Young University
Minor: Computer Science
Graduation: June 2014
- ISYS 590R - Mobile Application Development, Android Platform
- ISYS 543 - Mobile Application Development, iOS Platform
- ISYS 531 - Enterprise Infrastructure
- ISYS 402 - Database Management and Design
- ISYS 403 - Business Programming (Java)
- CS 236 - Discrete Math and Predicate Calculus
- CS 235 - Data Structures and Algorithms
- CS 142 - Introduction to Computer Programming
- CS 100 - Introduction to Computing
- EE 124/224 - Advanced Digital Systems
Honors and Leadership:
- President - 2013-2014 BYU CocoaHeads
- Invitee - 2013 Apple Cocoa Camp, Cupertino
- 5th Place - 2014 BYU Mobile App Competition
- Biz Vector Award- 2012 BYU Mobile App Competition
- 5th Place - 2012 BYU Mobile App Competition
- Ruby on Rails API Award- 2012 BYU Mobile App Competition
- 2nd Place - 2012 International AIS Social Media Optimization Competition
- Running, playing hockey, and hiking
- Building iOS and Android apps
- Watching shows and movies with my wife
- Going on motorcycle rides up Utah canyons