The #EpicProvoAnnoucement hashtag on twitter has truly turned out to be epic. Provo is getting Google Fiber and it makes sense for so many reasons:
- Entrepreneurship - Provo is one of the best places for tech startups outside of Silicon Valley -- on the same level as Austin.
- Infrastructure - There's an existing infrastructure in place, put there by the city of Provo nearly 10 years ago. It failed (IMO) due to the greed of who decided to limit the speeds to near cable-levels and charge only marginally lower than other providers. Stifling innovation in the pursuit of some extra $$s.
- Data - Genealogy research is huge in Utah, with several large organizations likely to get on board ASAP.
- Students - Provo is home to a major university in BYU, with another 25,000+ university ten minutes away in UVU.
- Innovation - Utah IS Silicon Slopes!